Friday, July 17, 2009

do something: volunteer

While walking home today, I passed the building below.  I've seen it before and never knew it's purpose, besides being beautiful.  I had the time and energy, so I decided to see what it was all about.  I asked the concierge and he explained the history of the Veterans Building and what I could find there.  Herbst Theater, Law Library, and the Museum of Performance & Design.  Performance & Design?  That spoke to me.








I made my way to the museum and was blown away.  I walked through and admired showcases of actors, dancers, musicians, film makers, etc.  As I walked down the hall, I passed a man, we greeted each other and I expressed my admiration.  He asked me if I was interested in performing arts.  I let him know that I was but never pursued anything more than classes.  He introduced himself and he was David R. Humphrey, the Director of the museum.  He spoke with me about volunteer opportunities and introduced me to the staff.  They filled me in on upcoming events and galas that I could participate in.  Next thing you know, I was reading the orientation manual and signing the agreements!

I am excited to start this new journey and educate myself on the wonderful world of performing arts.



No comments:

Post a Comment